American Association of University Women
Salem County NJ Branch:
The AAUW Salem County NJ Branch is a branch of the American Association of University Women. The AAUW, founded in1881, is a nationwide organization of more than 100,000 members and donors, 1000 branches and 500 college/university partners. The Branch is also associated with the AAUW-NJ.
The Branch was formed in 1937 and has been in continuous existence for over 80 years. It holds monthly meetings and is visible in the community for the services it provides to advance the education, equity and welfare of women and girls in Salem County.
See attached: 2023-2024 SC AAUW Brochure
Who: Any graduate holding an associate, or equivalent, or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
How: Membership form is here Dues+renewAAUW2023-2024
– Branch Membership: Membership in the Salem County NJ Branch includes membership in the AAUW and AAUW-NJ. Dues are: National – $72.00, AAUW-NJ – $10.00 and Branch – $6.00. Total dues to become a Branch member: $88.00.
– College/University (C/U) Membership: Any accredited higher education institution is eligible to become a C/U member and can appoint one or two eligible representatives to receive free national membership. Membership dues are $175. Why Join? Join C/U. Local and state dues are an additional cost.
– Student Affiliate: A Student Associate of AAUW is eligible to associate with the Branch. An undergraduate or degree-seeking graduate student enrolled in a full-time or part-time program is eligible to join AAUW as a Student Associate. AAUW Membership dues are $18.81 of which $16.81 is tax deductible and $2.00 is not. Join AAUW and Contact Us.
AAUW National Membership includes:
- Membership in the largest and oldest national organization working for the advancement of women and education.
- Provision of Resources to fund over $3 million annually for over 250 educational fellowships and career development grants and for research and publications, many in the fields of engineering, medicine and STEM. Fellowships and Grants
- Access to the Legal Advocacy Fund. Created in 1981, the LAF educates women about their civil rights and supports plaintiffs seeking legal redress by contesting unequal pay or other violations under Title IX and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Educational Amendments of 1972. Legal Advocacy Fund
- A voice in Washington, DC advocating for AAUW policies affecting women and children.
- Publication of nationally recognized research and resource materials on issues affecting women, including, for example “The Simple Truth about the Gender Pay Gap,” “Deeper in Debt: Women and Student Loans” and “Barriers and Bias: the Status of Women in Leadership.” Research Reports
- Support for programs assisting women to close the pay gap by negotiating pay: $tart $mart and Work Smart. Salary Negotiations
-NJ Membership includes:
- An active Public Policy Program focusing on gender equity in education, elimination of harassment and freedom of choice and from violence.
- A respected coalition with other organizations to address state and regional issues.
- Conferences and workshops with expert and stimulating speakers and programs.
- Sponsorship of STEM programs for girls: Tween Tech, Tech Trek & Tween Tech
- Access to LegiScan – a real time New Jersey legislative tracking service.
AAUW Salem County NJ Branch Membership includes:
- Encouragement of interest in STEM careers for young women. Tech Trek
- Development of leadership skills for Salem County college women by sponsoring attendance at the AAUW’s National Conference for Collegiate Women Student Leaders. AAUW NCCWSL
- Award of Scholarships to graduating female high school seniors planning to attend college.
- Monetary assistance to women in need in Salem County.